By Dietitian and Nutritionist Alison Bencke
If fish oil capsules don’t sit well with you and your Crohn’s diet plan, try this sweet, simple alternative. Fish or flaxseed oil can be found at your local health food store.
- Makes 1 glass
- 1/2 cup low-fat or skim milk—half frozen is best
- 1 tablespoon skim milk powder (can leave out if using calcium-enriched milk)
- 1 teaspoon fish* or flaxseed oil—keep bottled in refrigerator
- 1/4 cup low-fat yogurt, either plain or berry flavored (can use probiotic yogurt)
- 1/4 cup mixed berries, frozen or fresh
*Available with added lemon to hide fish taste.
Using a blender, mix all ingredients together, then pour over ice if desired. Drink immediately.
- Nutrition per serving:
- Calories 173
- Protein 12 g
- Fat 5 g
- Saturated fat 0.5 g
- Fiber 1 g
- Calcium 385 mg
Go back to the recipe list
Note: these tips should not replace advice from your physician. Always check with your physician before making any changes to your eating habits.